Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Virgin's 5 Secrets to Business Success

Possibly my favourite "famous" entrepreneur is Richard Branson. Possibly because he looks like me ;) I appreciate the fact that he walks around in shorts and sandals, has a beard and "messy" long hair. I appreciate the fact that he surfs, bungee jumps, jumps out of planes and, generally, has a really good time with his life. Sadly, I can't relate to all the fun stuff he does as I'm still working up to that but it sure LOOKS great!

branson.jpg

And who best to take tips from than someone who is rich AND enjoys his life as obviously as what Richard enjoys his? Out of all the entrepreneur stories I've read, Richard's are the most compelling, motivating and real. Maybe because some of them are so damn frightening and maybe also because he challenges the status quo wherever he goes. Here in SA, Richard has launched Virgin Active, Virgin Mobile and Virgin Money, all of which do something different to what the competition does. That's refreshing and so that's the guy I like listening to! Below is a short excerpt of Richard's 5 Secrets to Business Success...

No. 1: Enjoy What You Are Doing.
Because starting a business is a huge amount of hard work, requiring a great deal of time, you had better enjoy it. When I started Virgin from a basement flat in West London, I did not set out to build a business empire. I set out to create something I enjoyed that would pay the bills.

No. 2: Create Something That Stands Out.
Whether you have a product, a service or a brand, it is not easy to start a company and to survive and thrive in the modern world. In fact, you’ve got to do something radically different to make a mark today.

No. 3: Create Something That Everybody Who Works for You is Really Proud of.
Businesses generally consist of a group of people, and they are your biggest assets.

No. 4: Be a Good Leader.
As a leader you have to be a really good listener. You need to know your own mind but there is no point in imposing your views on others without some debate. No one has a monopoly on good ideas or good advice.

No. 5: Be Visible.
A good leader does not get stuck behind a desk. I’ve never worked in an office - I’ve always worked from home - but I get out and about, meeting people. It seems I am traveling all the time but I always have a notebook in my back pocket to jot down questions, concerns or good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment